Mar 15, 2010

Doctor's Visit

Last week I took Jacob in for his 6 month checkup for the tubes in his ears. All in all the appointment went great. Our appt. was scheduled for 8:30. We dropped the kids off at school and high-tailed it over there. We ended up getting there at 8:05, being taken back at 8:15 and getting out at 8:27. We had the whole thing over and done with before our original time. I love appts. like that! Jacob's ears looked great, his hearing and speech have improved SO much. Some of the things that he says now are so legible that I wish that people couldn't understand him so well!
While I was signing in and paying as soon as we got there, Jacob was talking to the receptionist at the front desk. He was being unusually good. Even for a normal kid it was great behaviour. He asked me if he could have some germ-x so I gave him a squirt. Too much. He got a tissue to rub some off and as he was walking over to the chairs to sit, he dropped his tissue. All of the sudden Mr. I Own The Whole Waiting Room, hollers at him to "Pick That Up!" Now he didn't throw it on the floor, he dropped it. And I would have made him go and pick it up as soon as I had seen it. So Jacob goes over ever so pleasantly and picks it up. He walks over to Mr. IOTWWR and asks him where the trash can is. Very clearly and plainly. He then rudely tells Jacob that he can't understand a word that he is saying. At that point I finish at the front desk and go over to Jacob and point to the trash can. He goes and drops it in and then comes right back to sit down next to me.
Abigail asks me if she can go and get a magazine from the rack. I tell her sure, so she heads over to grab one. Mr. IOTWWR pipes up and tell her that those magazines are too big for her. She turns to look at me with uncertainty in her face and I LOUDLY tell her to grab 3. One for me, her, and Jacob. I could have cared less at that point that they were all Web MD magazines.
Right at that moment, Mr. IOTWWR is called back and as he passes us, he holds his hand out to Jacob, asks for a high 5 and then asks Abigail for a hug. WHAT!?!?
You big freak, get away from my kids!
I had the good sense not to punch the dude, but man did he have my blood boiling!
Have you ever had an experience when someone tried to take over your job disciplining/reprimanding your children and you almost punched them in the face?

10 comments:

Mama Mary said...

TOO funny! LOVE your blogs, Lisa! What a nice blessings for not punching Mr. IOTWWR in the face - in & out before original appt. time. Nice restraining!!

Erin said...

Mmm, mmm, mmm... and three snaps in the "Z formation!" I think you should have punched him (because that's the right thing to teach our children, right?). What is wrong with some people!?!?

Christian and Katie said...

I am impressed by your self control! There is nothing more irratating then having someone else discipline your child when you're standing right there! Mr. IOTWWR needs to count his many blessings that you restrained yourself from punching his face in. I would have totally come to your defense when the cops showed up! "Honestly officer, she was completely justified! He had it comin!"

Kristen said...

I hear ya loud and clear! I refuse to shop at the Kroger on Church during the day because of the "Duck man" and his insisting on talking to my kids and offering them stickers that end up on my car. Don't these people understand that we are trying to teach our kids NOT to talk to strangers?! I would NEVER touch some kid in public that I didn't know...we have been known to give my nephew Germ X "baths" after weirdos insist on touching his pretty red hair!

Beccarigg said...

CREEPY! and obnoxious! Couldn't he see that your kids already have a mom? That don't need him telling them what to do! And the whole hug thing seriously creeps me out! I agree with the others, you have some incredible self restraint for not socking the guy in the face! (that's just my mother bear instincts speaking ; )

tiki_lady said...

Yes. Yes, all the time and nothing boils my blood more than when it's my mother in law and she is trying to discipline their cousins through my children! LIKE WTH! and yes I mean double L! Don't call out my children's names when you really want another said cousin to stop the behavior.

When I was a new mother I allowed strangers, family and others to dictate my parenting by what they deemed. I seemed so flighty. Things didn't seem to bother me until I would hear a gaspuh or see a look of surprise then I would chastise my child. I hated that. I felt like they had to be perfect. I will pay for therapy for my two oldest. It's the least I can do.

By the time my youngest was born I was 30. i was my own woman and felt comfortable in my skin and comfortable if people didn't like me for who I was. As long as they weren't hurting another, damaging another's property or in physical danger I let it go. YES, we got comments, stares and gaspuhs and I adamently stared back or commented back. THEY ARE FINE, or would ensure my child YOU are FINE, continue doing what you are doing.

I do not like sales people to speak through my children to me. WHERE's YOUR MOMMY< she shouldn't let you touch that! All while looking right at me! I turn to them and say do not speak to my children when your comments are directed to me. If they break something I will pay for it, or you can mark it off on inventory. It happens, it's a store, its not the end of the world. MIND YOU I think I am overly cautious while we are in pubic or others homes, but in my home, I suggest for most people to ZIPIT!
hows that for a lengthy comment?

The Longnecker Zoo said...

ALL THE TIME!!!!! I am usually a nice person and try my best to be Christ-like four out of seven days of the week. But start that stuff with me and Mama Bear comes out faster than they can blink. I can't stand that!

I have told strangers that my children weren't allowed to talk to them because they were strangers. And some have been offended. I could care less! See, just thinking about it and that Christ-likeness goes out the window. I think Heavenly Father has my back on this one though...HA HA HA!

And yes, the Duck guy at Kroger even freaks me out. My girls start hugging on me even more than they normally do.

Jeni Simmons said...

My blood is boiling for ya girl! I would have wanted to do a bit of kung foo on him! You must have been wearing your WWJD bacelet. Hope everything goes well with the ear tubes.

Norma said...

Ok am I the only one who doesn't mind duck man?

Sorry about the jerk in the waiting room

The Checks Mix said...

What an example you are of self restraint! That is the HARDEST thing when you are trying to be good but someone is messing with your kids. Oooh! I don't get the changed behavior from yelling at your kids to trying to be buddies with them. Maybe he felt guilty and decided to make up for it by being friendly. Weird. Miss you!