Apr 16, 2010

Poem Book

This morning as the boys were getting out of the car at school, Joseph pulled something out of his backpack and tossed it thru the window at me. "Here, this is my poem book project that I did a few weeks ago," he said as he rushed into the building before the bell rang. I wasn't surprised to see that he had made an A on the project. He is very on top of his studies and takes his grades very seriously.

Out of the 13 poems in his book, the majority of them were about the things that he holds dear to his heart. Sports. In particular, wrestling and football. The boy eats, breaths, sleeps, and daydreams sports. He can tell you who won any Super Bowl, what the score was and who made the most awesome play of the game. He lives for statistics. He not only can quote the facts, he can play the game. In short, he is a sports freak.

Each of the poems had to be very specific. A Haiku, Metaphor, Limerick, etc. That is why when I was reading all of his poems, one in particular stuck out to me. It was entitled Tribute.

It read:

Mom;

You have always been there for me.

Even through the hard times

I know you will never back down in the face of fear.

I love you and hope you will be in my life forever.



I could hardly see after I read this poem. Yes, I know he had to write it for a grade, but, he could have written about anybody.

The teacher would write notes on each of the poems to let him know how each one was graded. On this particular poem, she wrote: "shorter than what was asked for"

This was the best poem out of the book. What more could he have written I ask?

6 comments:

Beccarigg said...

This brings tears to my eyes too! Something about teenage boys and their love for their mothers always pulls at my heartstrings. Maybe it goes back to the stripling warriors? All I know is that that is one of the sweetest things I've ever read. You are a very blessed woman : )

Jennifer and Clay said...

Awww...how sweet is that? One thing I have noticed about your boys is how much they love you.

Kristen said...

What a sweet tribute...just in time for early Mother's Day!

Mama Mary said...

Wow! Makes me all teary eyed too! That is one fine young man ~ and SMARTT too ~ he recognizes what a gem and a jewel of a Mom he has. That 4 line poem says it ALL ~ a tender treasure!

tiki_lady said...

so sweet!

Norma said...

silly teacher doesn't know what she's talking about. i'm sure that poem spoke volumes to your heart!