Aug 12, 2010

2nd time's a charm?

Yesterday morning, bright and early we headed over to the surgi-center to get Jacob's 2nd set of tubes put in his ears. The 1st pair fell out after a year and his tubes were filled with fluid again. His adenoids were pushing against his tubes so they decided they would take those out also. He was only back there about 5 minutes when they paged me and called me back. I was worried because they had told me that it would take at least 30 minutes or so for the procedure. When I got back there they told me they couldn't get his adenoids because his tonsils were so huge and they needed my permission to take them out. What was I going to say? "No, give me back my baby right now!" I signed the paper and thought, "He is not going to be happy when he wakes up." When he came out of surgery, I could him hear wailing down the hall. As soon as they laid him in my arms he looked at me with those sad blue eyes and promptly fell asleep. He was not happy with the bandaid that they put on him after they took out the I.V., but other than that there were no fits thrown.

I have to say that I have the most awesome mother-in-law. She volunteered to come up and watch Abigail and Matthew while I was at the surgi-center with Jacob. I called her the day before and told her that I had to leave the house no later than 6:45 in the morning. For her that means she would have to leave her house at around 5:00. Around 5:35 that morning we are all getting ready, the big boys are eating breakfast and waiting for their ride to seminary. All of the sudden they holler, "She's here!" I thought, "Man she is 15 minutes early! I don't even have their lunches packed yet." But no, it is not their ride. It is grandma, an hour early. As she walks in with 2 of the cousins, I look at her and ask, "I did tell you 6:45 didn't I?" Her mouth drops open and the girls wail, "Grandma!!" We all laughed, but of course, I am not the one that got up at 3:30! Bless her heart, she is an angel.

So anyway, I am not prepared to have someone on a liquid diet, so I have to stock up on icecream, popsicles, and gatoraide. He has cried off and on for a day and a half now. Anytime he wants something he pokes my shoulder and points. I have gotten pretty good and deciphering what those little points mean after 2 days. And as normal, any medicine that is supposed to make you remotely drowsy, has the opposite effect on Jacob. Yeah, fun.
Later that afternoon Gabe asked me to scratch his back. I looked at it and asked him where in the world he had gotten all those mosquito bites. It was only about 8 or so, but I figured he had rolled down the hill or something. I took Joseph to his big scout thing later that night and Joe called me and asked if I had seen Gabe's back. I told him I had and that it wasn't that bad. He said, "I am pretty sure he has chicken pox." I told him there was no way because he had a roaring case when he was 10 months old. I know this because Joseph had given them to him. It was Joseph's 2nd case. This is now Gabe's 2nd case. So I am pretty sure we have infected the entire family who came up for b-day's, the school, and the entire primary. You love us I know. : )

8 comments:

Jen said...

Last night Julianne was saying how she was "itchy all over." I thought of Gabe. We checked her just in case, but it would be too early anyway.

I bet your home is fun right now, especially between Gabe and Jacob's needs. I'm sure you are exhausted. Let us know how we can help!

Meghan said...

Phew! And I feel worn out. Ha!

Kristen said...

Poor kid (and poor you!)! I hope he feels better soon, and I am pretty glad we weren't at Church on Sunday to get the Pox!

MotherMonkee said...

I am so sorry mama! I feel sort of guilty for being 'bored' now that the kids are in school. Let me know if I can help. I am great at running errands!!

MotherMonkee said...

I am so sorry mama! I feel sort of guilty for being 'bored' now that the kids are in school. Let me know if I can help. I am great at running errands!!

Christian and Katie said...

Poor Jacob (and you, of course!) I had my tonsils removed when I was 19 and it was AWFUL! I would take child birth over a tonsilectomy any day! It was incredibly painful and I can certainly empathize with him! Hopefully within a week or two he'll feel well again and the rest of the crew will have kicked the chicken pox! This too shall pass :) You are MY HERO!

Lila said...

ha ha ha ha, this is all you can do in life at this point... right? he he he. we love you, i know that much. thank you for having a sense of humor about the complexeties (sp?) of life. ;)

Norma said...

oh no! not twice! I'm deathly afraid of getting a second case because I seriously only had like 2 blisters form when I got the chicken pox, yeah really mild case. Not so for my poor brother and sister